Monday, April 12, 2010

Application Tips- How to get into PC

Recently a friend sent me an email asking for advice about applying to the Peace Corps. I ended up replying in a lengthy email. When I re-read it I realized that this might be useful for others. It may not answer all your questions. But every little bit helps. Good luck on your journey!

Hey Girl! Im so excited that you are thinking about Peace Corps. Its such a great opportunity and a life changing experience. I will definitely say that although Im not 100% sure what I want to do after Peace Corps, since being here I have been asking myself new/different questions that I wouldn't have asked back in the States. I am getting closer :) Also this is such a great networking opportunity. I will do my best to answer your questions, but if you anything specific you want to know feel free to email be again.

Length of process
So it took me a full year from when I started the application until I left for my service. I started the application in August and submitted it in November. It took me so long bc I was working full time, and I had multiple people reading my essays. Also, I wanted to get TEFL certified before I submitted my application to make it look better. All I would say is be patient, respond in a timely manner to PC requests, and be really thorough. 

Application/Qualifications
So to make your application better, I would really spend time researching what program(s) you want to apply for and the qualifications needed. I would also go to recruiting events to talk with recruiters because they also can give you tips for what PC is looking for. And the more you talk to people, the more well-rounded answers you get. For me, I knew the only two programs I wanted, and came close to qualifying for was Education and Community Development. After doing research and talking to folks I realized that to make my application more competitive I should start volunteering more with youth and do more things to make me attractive for the education program.  So I got TEFL certified (1 month course, and I would use this as a back-up to teach overseas if PC didnt work out) and I started volunteering as a conversation partner with recent immigrants. Also, through my job there were plenty opportunities to volunteer with Youth. On the application you will have to describe anything you've done that will help qualify you. I went back all the way to undergrad. Use everything you got! Especially things you've done with Zeta. And if you dont have much, start now, it still looks good and recruiters know that by the time you have to leave you will have enough hours necessary. You will also need some letters of recommendation. Make sure you stay on your recommenders, bc your app isnt finished without them.

Essays
This was the hardest part for me because I hate writing. When I first started I had many people looking at my essays. But once I felt like I knew the direction I wanted to go with then, I narrowed it down to 3 reviewers. If I remember, the essays were: 1) Why do you want to join PC, 2) Talk about a Cross Cultural experience you had and how you overcame...or something like that. With the 1st essay, I would focus on making sure you hit PC's 3 main goals. They should be incorporated somehow in your essay. And I would also state what you can bring to PC and what PC can do for you. Also, you should talk about your future goals and how this experience can be beneficial.  With the second essay, this was a lil harder for me. I had traveled internationally before, but mostly for vacation and to exotic places that dont resemble a PC situation, so i didn't feel comfortable talking about that. But now that i think about, PC is in Jamaica, Fiji, and other exotic places. As long as you have a relevant experience that doesn't involve you yelling at your waiter bc there was no ice in your water you should be fine. lol. You should focus on a problem, misunderstanding, or an issue that was caused due to your lack of knowledge about the culture (I ended up talking about corporate america as a culture and how I transitioned in). Then you should say, how you felt, how you dealt with it, how you succeeded, what you learned, and how that can be useful in your service with PC. 

Interview
Once your application has been reviewed you will be invited in for an interview. A recruiter will contact you. You should study well for this interview. If you google Peace Corps Interview questions a lot of things will come up. Here are a few websites:

The most important thing to remember is that you need to prepare specific real life examples for each question. It is an hour long interview. Expect the recruiter to take notes while you talk. I would also google SAR or STAR interview techniques. This is really what they are looking for. In terms of stating your region/country preferences, dont be afraid to do so, however, I would encourage you to be FLEXIBLE. Dont say anything like "I only want to go to China" Also know that they usually require people to have a lil knowledge of spanish before sending them to a spanish speaking country. Dont ask me why, I have no idea. You should also remember to ask your recruiter questions. They are expecting you to do so. Usually your recruiter will be a Return Peace Corps Volunteer anyway so they are a good resource for information. 

Nomination
If your interviewer likes you, then you will get nominated to a region, with a date. Ever recruiter is different, some will tell you right at the end of the interview, some will wait a day, some will wait a week. It really doesn't mean much. They have to call you so just be patient. My nomination was Central Asia August 2009. Usually people leave when their nomination says. But sometimes a program will fill up before you get your medical in, or the country they were thinking of sending you to started having problems. Dont worry about it, once you've been nominated, if your medical and background checks are fine, they will place you. Just be flexible. You can check out what countries have left when at http://www.peacecorpswiki.org under the timeline section. This is a great website.

Medical
Be ready to shell out some cash if you dont have good health insurance. There are a lot of tests you have to take. Make sure you bring all the documents Peace Corps wants filled out with you, and make sure your doctor doesnt miss anything. I saw 2 doctors and my dentist. And I went back twice for each. So the co-pays will add up. It took me 1 month to submit my medical. PC will reimburse you for some costs, but it definitley wont be all. So save up. Once you get cleared medically then your good. What they are really looking for in your medical is what disqualifies you from serving in the PC (somewhere on the internet there is a list, but its usually very serious aliments). Then they look for things that will disqualify you from serving in a particular country (which isnt bad, you want to be in a place that can take care of you if something happens). Make sure you have documents of your medical records, they want to make sure your up to date with vaccinations. 

Invite
If all goes will with your medical, you should receive in invite in the mail. I sent my medical in at the end of January, I received my invite at the end of February. BUT DONT GO BY THIS! Everyones timeline is different. I know of people in my class who sent their medical earlier than me and didnt get an invite until 2 months before they left. Dont ask me why. Just be patient. Call periodically to check on your file. But dont be annoying. Also there is a timing process behind it. They wont send an invite until 6 months before you have to leave, or later! Some people found out 4 weeks before they left. Again, dont ask me why. Just be prepared and flexible! (notice a trend! lol) 

Here is a link to my entire timeline: http://emcmahon1920.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-timeline.html

Once you get your invite you will have a period of time to decided. They dont change invites, so its either you go where they tell you, or nothing. So be flexible. And pray to God that he will send you where He wants you to go.

I hope this helped you. Im happy to answer anymore questions you have.

Good luck! It really is the Hardest Job You'll Ever Love!

Erica McMahon
Peace Corps Volunteer
Kazakhstan
Aug 2009 - Oct 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment