Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!


Happy Thanks giving!

So…I'm trying to be happy today despite learning yesterday that my friend passed away. And the fact that this is my 1st Thanks Giving away from my family.

Overall I had a good day. First I went to the American Corner, which is a special place in the Gogola Library in Karaganda where people can learn about America. It’s actually funded by the US government. It’s pretty cool. That’s where we host our women’s, discussion, and debate clubs. Today there was a competition hosted by the American Corner on “What I know about America”. We met one of the diplomats from the US Embassy and had a small chat with him. Then some students from different schools gave presentations on different things about America. Topics included, American paintings, television, dance, Barak Obama, and my favorite presentation about Michael Jackson! They looove MJ here. One of the groups did a tribute to him that included a remake of the thriller dance. The video will be posted! Lol

After the competition, me and some other PC volunteers went out for bleenies (really thin pancakes). They were delicious! Then we went back to the Library and hosted discussion club. About 30 people came. We talk about Thanksgiving, Kazakh holidays, English, Russian, snow, and hurricanes! It was great! Usually there is one topic that is chosen and we discuss it, but today since it was our first time, we were all over the place. People had many questions for us. Next weeks topic is Gender Wars. Should be interesting. Also on Sunday at Women’s club we will discuss Plastic Surgery and House Mom vs Working Woman. I love listen to the different perspectives. And it’s a great way for everyone to practice their English.

Then I went home and talk to my family on Skype. My father told me what he was cooking for Thanksgiving dinner. It made me very hungry! My father is a great cook! Everyone is doing well back home. I miss them.

So yes I'm still a lil sad today. But overall, today is a day that the Lord has made. I shall rejoice and be glad in it!

Happy Thanks Giving!

Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment