So... I think I am in the beginning stages of cultural shock.
Yes, I know I've been here for 4 months already. But really it’s just hitting me now. Peace Corps said that would happen. The first few months during training are called the honeymoon phase. Everything is new. You have such a positive outlook on how you are going to change the world and you're so accepting to the cultural differences.
But when you get to your main site after training is when real cultural shock sets in. Here are some things that are starting to irk me just a little.
*Disclaimer: I am loving my experience thus far and I wouldn’t change it for the world! Don’t take this list the wrong way. It’s very normal to feel frustrated when you are in a new culture. I still appreciate Kazakhstan and its people and I look forward to learning, and helping others for the next 2 years. It is a great country!
Voicemail:
So I know this is a petty thing to start off with. But lets start small.
Seriously Kazakhstan.....I need you to get voicemail on your cell phones. I don’t understand why you don’t have voicemail. Voicemail is great. For example, you know when someone calls you and you don’t want to pick up bc you don’t feel like having a conversation with them. You can just send them to voicemail and hear whatever they have to tell you, without speaking to them! And, you know how sometimes you get phone calls from unknown numbers and you just don’t fee like taking a chance that it may be someone you don’t want to talk to...You can send it voicemail and they can leave a message! Its great. Lets set a goal for May2010. Kazakhstan should have voicemail by then. Thank you
Shoes:
I’m gonna hit 2 points here, 1) shoe size, 2) taking off your shoes b4 entering.
1) Seriously Kazakhstan...My feet aren’t that big. A size 9 (or 41 in Europe) is normal. I know this is true, bc every time I went shoe shopping in America, they always run out of 9's. A lot of women have size 9 feet. Fact. That’s it. Now...I know the women in Kazakhstan are beautiful. They are divas. But not all of them have small feet! Maybe the Kazakh women, but I know those Russian girls got big feet! So Kazakhstan, I need you to import some size 41 shoes. Oh...and some 42's. Cause you know when you by those high heel shoes with the pointy toe, you have to go one size bigger. Lets set a deadline March 2010. Thanks
2) I understand the bottom of your shoes are dirty. And even in America some people take off their shoes before entering a house. But here is something I don’t understand. If I leave ALL of my shoes by the door, when I get dressed, how am I supposed to try on all of my shoes to find out which ones go best with my outfit? I think I should be allowed to wear shoes in my room if I want. I want to look in the mirror. Also, if I must put on my shoes at the door, I need to you give me a chair. Putting on your shoes while standing wearing a heavy winter coat with hat, scarf, and carrying a purse is not fun. Thanks. No deadline, just a suggestion.
Staring:
So….. get it. I'm black. I know. It’s different.
Take a GLANCE.
But seriously Kazakhstan….Its impolite to stare. Fact.
I know you’ve seen black people before. My president is black. I know you’ve seen him. 50 cent in black and I KNOW you’ve seen him. If you have MTV, you’ve seen black people. I know anything about America (which I know you know plenty) you know we have black people that aren’t from Africa. Now I understand there is a difference between seeing a black person on Television than in real life. I get it. Therefore I will allow a quick glance. I'm interesting, I understand. Say hello. Where are you from? I don’t mind talking. But please don’t do the following: 1) Stare, 2) If you must stare, when I look back at you, look away. Don’t continue staring. I caught you. The look at I give you says stop staring at me. Either say something, or look away. It’s awkward. 3) If you must stay something, please don’t say the following: a) AFRIKANA!!!! b) Oh….N@#%*! (you know what word that is) c) Ha Ha…look, look (Insert name), look at her.
Don’t get me wrong, in my new city Karaganda people are overall nicer to me than in Ecik. But like I said…I'm going through culture shock. I need people to get over the fact that I'm black. Thanks. Lets start tomorrow.
Last Minute Planning:
Peace Corps said this would happen. You are minding your business, trying to have a normal day. Then some comes to you and says…
Them: By the way, we need you to do so and so
You: Ok sure, what do you need exactly
Them: Well…its…and…so….ok?
You: Um no…I don’t understand. So what specifically do you want?
Them: I dunno, you can make it whatever you want
You: Ok, so what the main goal you want me to accomplish?
Them: Well…lets…and….ok good!
You: I still don’t get it. But give me some time to think about it. When is this due?
Them: It starts in 30 mins.
You: WHAT!!!!
Them: Don’t worry, you can do it! Good luck! (walks away)
Right…so that…I need it to stop. I need a schedule, I need a plan, I need advance warning, and I need a clear objective. Ok.
Oh wait…I think this is something I'm supposed to be helping with. That’s right…I'm the American that’s supposed to be helping people do things better. Ok. Lets work on it together Kazakhstan. No deadline….YET J
“Helping”:
Kazakhstan…you can’t help during a test. Its called cheating. I'm sorry no one told you this before, but it’s true.
In Kazakhstan it’s perfectly normal for a teacher or other students to “help” each other during an exam. It helps the students get higher scores and it makes the teachers look good. But…you’re not really testing/assessing the knowledge of the person taking the test bc you gave them all the answers. So…lets work on this. I will start with my classroom. I have a “No Helping” policy. That’s it. Final.
As I stated before, Kazakhstan is a great country. These things just make me appreciate my experience that much more. Kazakhstan has been through so much and it has such a rich culture.
And to be fair, I'm sure there are many things about America that get on peoples nerves too. But that’s another blog entry.
Until next time. I hope you enjoyed reading.
Be Blessed

This is so funny. I think the "helping" ought to be expanded to include "no plagiarism". And who were you talking about with the planning? It seems to remind me of a special someone at that place we all convene at on the weekend for "chai peet". You know which one...
ReplyDeleteHey! I really enjoy reading your blog; it's helpful to see how things are from another black person's point of view. I'm leaving for Jamaica in March, so I don't think I'll have as much as a culture shock as you, but I'm trying to prepare for anything lol. Good luck with everything; I'll pray for your deadlines to be met before May!
ReplyDeleteVoice Mail: Yep. how about even answering machines. get with it KZ. good post lady
ReplyDelete