Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Class

8/27/09

So I found out today why my teacher was skipping over me in class. She explained that in her culture they usually call on boys first in class. The way we are seated in class is Boy, Me, Boy, Boy, Girl. So she skips over me and the other girl in the class so she can call on the boys first. It’s also customary to call on the smartest kids in class more often.

I think it’s needless to say that I really didn’t appreciate these cultural differences being that I am on the short end of the stick. In my opinion (and not the Peace Corps…lol) it perpetuates that cycle of women being less educated, and it assumes that we aren’t on the same level, which we are!

Now I am in now way suggesting that my teacher is sexist or that she doesn’t like me. Actually she has been very helpful to me and I like her J. I’m even getting extra tutoring hours from her. But because of my concerns, I politely explained to my teacher that it doesn’t make me feel good when she does this. And she really listened to me J. She didn’t skip over me, and she called on me more often. So far so good! Thanks Ludmilla!!

After class I went visiting (gosting) to my host grandmothers house. I met all of her friends. They were very nice. And of course they wanted to take pictures with me. I’m sure the other volunteers are getting this too. But I think a lot of people want to take pictures of me because I’m black. They also like to touch my hair. It doesn’t bother me, I guess I’m their first black experience. Everyone was very nice to me and the food was delicious. I showed them some pictures of my friends and family. What’s funny is that they don’t consider anyone lighter than me to be black. They call me "chur-ney" which means black, so when they see my light skin black friends they ask "bay-ly" or white? And I say "net" (no) "OHA chur-ney" (she’s black) and they don’t believe me. Lol. I guess when I learn more Russian I can explain that black people come in all colors.

I found out a few days ago that my family is taking me on a road-trip to a nearby village overnight! Needless to say I’m a little nervous. Peace Corps staff approved the trip so at least I know she isn’t taking me to a dangerous place. I let you know how it turns out!

Be Blessed!
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment