So much has changed since my last update.
Peace Corps Kazakhstan requires you to stay with a host family for the 1st 6 months of your service. After that, if you can find your own place, you can move out. Volunteers in a big city or town usually move out, however volunteers in small villages tend to stay with a host family for the full 2 years bc its harder to find an apartment in a small village.
Anyway, I'm in a big city, so I was able to move out.
I really did like my host family. They bent over backwards to make sure I was comfortable, and they did really nice things for me. But I really wanted my own space. A place where I can come home and just be me, and not feel like a guest or worry about if I'm doing something socially/culturally unacceptable. Also, if one day I didn’t feel like taking off my shoes before I entered my apartment (heaven forbid!!) I could. Or if I wanted to open all the windows in my apartment to get some fresh air….I wouldn’t have to ask anyone. If I wanted to skip a meal, or eat something small, I wouldn’t have to explain myself to anyone. My host family was very good about letting me go and come as I please, I never had a curfew or anything, and I'm not a heavy party girl…..but if I want to come home late, or leave the house really early in the morning…I wont have to explain myself to anyone.
These little things matter when you are living in a strange country and dealing with a different culture. To have a place to call your own…where you can be you…and do whatever you want (theoretically) helps.
And so now….I have my new apartment. AND I LOVE IT!! :)
Here are some pics.
My Bedroom
My Bedroom
My Living room
Hallway
2nd room
Kitchen
Kitchen
I have no microwave, washing machine, or dryer….and right now my whole city wont have hot water for about 2 months…but I STILL LOVE IT!!!! :)
Be Blessed








I like it!
ReplyDeleteThe style is totally different, but nice and cozzy.
Congratulations for adapting to the abscense of some comfortness. God bless you agai.
Enilda